A Semifreddo is an Italian semi-frozen dessert and Olivia Williamsonhas created a mouthwatering version using our new Strawberry ‘n’ Mascarpone limited edition yoghurt. This one’s sure to have your friends and family coming back for more…
Makes 1 loaf tin sized Semifreddo
Alrighty, you’ll need:
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 40g caster sugar
- 450g The Collective Strawberry ‘n’ Mascarpone yoghurt
- Approx 20g freeze dried strawberries, chopped finely
- 6-8 mini meringues, plus more for serving
- Fresh strawberries, to serve
- 2 large handfuls pistachio nuts, roughly chopped, to serve
Now you need to:
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and sugar with an electric whisk for about 5 minutes until thick, glossy and holding its shape.
- Put the yoghurt into a large mixing bowl. Spoon a few heaped tablespoons of the meringue into the yoghurt and, using a spatula, gently fold it in to loosen the yoghurt. Continue to do this with the rest of the meringue, folding everything gently until they are combined and it is the texture of a mousse.
- Spoon enough of the yoghurt meringue mix to cover the bottom of the loaf tin. Sprinkle some of the freeze dried strawberries on top and crumble over some meringue. Continue layering in this way until you have used up all your ingredients (reserving a tablespoon of freeze dried strawberries to serve). Smooth the top with a spatula and cover tightly with cling film.
- Freeze for around 6 hours, or until firm, or leave overnight.
- Transfer the semifreddo from the freezer to the fridge about 20 minutes before serving to soften. Turn the semifreddo out of the tin and onto a serving platter. Decorate with fresh strawberries and crumble over some more meringue, freeze dried strawberries and pistachios on top. Use a sharp knife to cut slices to serve. Do not refreeze after thawing.
If you make our Strawberry and Mascarpone Semifreddo, then share it with us on social media and tag us in your creations using #thecollectivekitchen and we might have to treat you!
Facebook – thecollectiveinuk
Twitter – collectivedairy
Instagram – thecollectiveuk